The latest projections from ABI Research suggest that the global market for wearable wireless devices in sports and healthcare will approach 170 million units by 2017.
As it turns out, Apple may play a critical role in driving that immense growth.
Although Apple is yet to even confirm the existence of this purportedly forthcoming device, chatter is rampant that the touchscreen Apple smartwatch is coming. And soon.
With an anticipated price tag of $199, the touchscreen “iWatch” is expected to see shipments of approximately 65 million units during its first twelve months of availability.
Wang Wanli, an analyst with CIMB Securities Limited, told the Commercial Times of China this week that the iWatch will likely debut in the second half of 2014.
With a shipment estimate of 63.4 million units in the first year alone, Wanli’s numbers indicate that the iWatch may instantly rival the iPod sales logged between 2008 and 2010.
The CIMB Group analyst believes Taiwanese manufacturer Inventec will produce roughly 60 percent of the orders for Apple’s smartwatch. Quanta Computer will likely produce the remaining 40 percent.