Study Finds Americans Are Increasingly Willing to Pay for mHealth Services

Study Finds Americans Are Increasingly Willing to Pay for mHealth Services   mobile study mobile research mobile medical devices mobile health Mobile Devices mHealth informationweek IBM healthcare mHealth is quickly becoming an attractive field to the American people.

Approximately 80% of respondents in a new IBM research survey reveal a willingness to pay upwards of $100 for a “medical device that monitors their vital signs.”

Fewer than 10% of respondents are paying out-of-pocket charges for such devices today, but more than one-third expect to do so within the next two years.

The IBM survey aims to monitor trends that pertain to the use of mobile devices in the healthcare industry.

According to InformationWeek, the report – “The Future of Connected Health Devices” – gleaned its data from interviews with more than one-thousand Americans, 80% of whom have a “chronic condition,” while the remaining 20% are “caregivers” who are currently users of software enabled medical devices.

“Using technology to encourage wellness has lots of promise. They can improve patients’ lives and in some instance possibly avoid the high costs of emergency room visits. They can add real-time data about patients’ vital signs to electronic health records,” says Heather Fraser, global life sciences lead at the IBM Institute for Business Value.

The report’s findings, released Monday, also reveal that health devices have been targeted toward healthy and fitness conscious individuals or patients suffering from chronic conditions who need to be constantly monitored. However, a third market segment dubbed “Information Seekers” has gone untapped. These people are relatively healthy, but could use a mobile device and the health apps that run on them as an incentive to manage a health-related challenge.

“Among the most promising markets are motivational devices that could help people follow a diet, stay on an exercise program, or quit smoking or drinking,” Fraser said. “Online support groups can be connected to help people share information about diseases and encourage each other to eat more vegetables or stay away from drugs. Millions of people have downloaded calorie-counting apps from their iPhones and Android phones.”

To read the full report from InformationWeek and review other findings of this telling survey, click here.

This post was written by:

- who has written 248 posts on mHealthWatch.


Contact the author

2 comments
Peter
Peter

mhealth :? Is it similar to the mloyal - Mobility Loyality developed by Mobiquest . BTW , Americans have always been known for higher expenditure on their health.

Rahul
Rahul

Not just the mobile phones but the users are infact also willing to invest in Personal Health Devices (PHD). Welldoc Inc. and MedApps are pioneers in this and are taking mhealth initiatives to the next level.

Trackbacks

  1. [...] Study Finds Americans Are Increasingly Willing to Pay for mHealth ServicesMobile Marketing Watch“Online support groups can be connected to help people share information about diseases and encourage each other to eat more vegetables or stay away from drugs. Millions of people have downloaded calorie-counting apps from their iPhones and Android … [...]

  2. [...] consumers with …Patients, Caregivers Willing To Buy Health Monitoring DevicesInformationWeekStudy Finds Americans Are Increasingly Willing to Pay for mHealth ServicesMobile Marketing WatchStudy Finds Consumers Willing To Pay for Wellness [...]